Did you know you may need a voltage converter when you travel?

Article by Laura B Writer here.

In a traveler’s perfect world, every country would run on the same type of electricity and use outlets that fit the same kinds of plugs. Unfortunately for us globetrotters this isn’t the case, and when we travel overseas we’re faced with the oftentimes head-scratching task of choosing the right adapter (or should it be a converter?) for our electronics. To help you prepare for your upcoming journey overseas, here’s our guide to power adapters and converters to keep your devices safe and working properly.

Know the difference between power adapters and converters

Adapters vs. converters
The big difference between an adapter and a converter is electricity. While the purpose of an adapter is to simply help the plugs on your electronics fit into (or more aptly, adapt to the shape of) foreign outlets, a converter’s job is to change the voltage found in an outlet to match that of your devices.

When to use a converter
Thankfully, the kinds of appliances that typically need a converter are single-voltage items, which more often than not, tend to be older-model irons and hair dryers. The majority of modern-made electronics are dual- or multi-voltage, meaning that they are able to withstand more than one type of electricity and therefore, only require an adapter. If you’re unsure whether or not you’ll need one, take a look at the chart below or check out the labels on your appliances and chargers for their specific requirements.

Voltage (V)Common appliancesConverter needed?
(i.e. 100-120V)
Older irons and hair dryersYes
(i.e. 120V/240V)
Newer hair dryers, electric razors, toothbrushes, etc.No
(i.e. 100-240V)
Cell phones, laptops, tablets, cameras, etc.No

Choosing the right adapter
So, exactly which style of adapter will you need? The answer depends on where you’re headed. This handy guide will help you determine which types of adapter plugs you should pack when you’re getting ready for tour. If your tour spans multiple countries that use different outlets, or you’re a frequent jetsetter, we suggest picking up a universal, all-in-one travel adapter.

When to use adapters for outlets A and B

Outlet types A and B
These are the two types of outlets that we use here in the U.S. and in Canada. If you’re traveling to Japan, the Caribbean or most locations in Central and South America you’re in luck—you shouldn’t need an adapter or a converter for your trip.

When to use adapters for outlet types C, E and F

Outlet types C, E and F
If you’re jetting to Europe, Israel or some countries in Asia and Africa, you’ll need an adapter for these plug types.

When to use an adapter for plug type G

Outlet type G
Pack an adapter for this kind of outlet if you’re visiting the United Kingdom, Ireland, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia or some countries in Africa.

When to use an adapter for plug type I

Outlet type I
For trips to China, Australia, New Zealand or Fiji you’ll need an adapter to fit this outlet.

A complete list of countries and their adapter plug models can be found here.